The New York Times is reporting that Libya's cease-fire has collapsed with foreign military shipments to the rival sides having resumed, just days after the Berlin peace summit that kicked off renewed efforts.
A spokesman for the eastern-based LNA told Reuters that "battles are raging on all front lines." Earlier this week, the UN mission to Libya UNSMIL warned of "continued blatant violations of the arms embargo" by foreign actors whom the UN did not name, but who had pledged in Berlin to uphold the embargo.
The collapse of the cease-fire and resumption of arms shipments are a serious blow to the UN efforts to push for a political solution. They are also a massive blow to the Russian-Turkish cease-fire efforts, who are using the Libyan conflict to "upstage the United Nations by privately negotiating a truce, but they have failed to impose it on their Libyan clients."
The UAE is considered Haftar's main backer, supplying arms and providing crucial air support. Military analysts have noticed a surge in flights from the UAE into Haftar controlled territory in recent days. Russia also backs Haftar, and is estimated to have provided around 1500 mercenaries in recent months. Turkey too, which backs the GNA, has been sending hundreds of Syrian militias to fight on behalf of Tripoli.
GNA and LNA leaders have said they continue to uphold the cease-fire, but were retaliating to the other sides' attacks. The UN reported on Sunday that two missiles struck Tripoli's Mitiga International Airport, wounding civilians and damaging structures. By Monday (yesterday), fighting resumed around Sirte - previously captured by Haftar and near Misrata, a strategic GNA stronghold.