EU diplomatic missions in Libya are calling for the release of Silham Sergiwa, a member of parliament serving in the Tobruk-based House of Representatives, and a known women's rights activist. Sergiwa disappeared from her Benghazi home on July 17, after it was raided by militants. Relatives think she may have been kidnapped after offering a "critical interview" on a pro Haftar television station. In the interview, Sergiwa offered a cloaked criticism of Haftar and the LNA's offensive on Tripoli, calling for "an end to the bloodshed".
The statement put out by the EU representatives in Libya included Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the UK, and called on "relevant authorities to conduct urgent investigations into her disappearance, and provide an update on her whereabouts". The signatories further cautioned against human rights violations, whose perpetrators "will be held accountable". The UN has also called for an investigation into Sergiwa's disappearance.
Al Jazeera, reporting on the incident, noted that "there have been a lot of attacks on politicians and political activists, including opponents of the operation led by...Haftar".
The United Nations Children's Fund - UNICEF - announced Saturday that it needs USD 14.8 million to cover basic life-saving services in Libya, according to Chinese news sources.
"UNICEF humanitarian response remains underfunded. The current funding gap stands at USD 14.8 until the end of 2019 with major funding gaps in all life-saving health and nutrition, water, sanitation and hygiene, education and child protection activities," said a UNICEF spokesperson. The organisation noted nearly 5000 students have been impacted in July and August by the ongoing fighting in and around Tripoli and in western Libya in general. The fighting so far has displaced nearly 130,000 Libyans, who are subject to injury, violence and death.
The ICC - International Criminal Court prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, told the UNSC she has "reliable information" on the whereabouts of Seif al-Islam Ghaddafi, son of former dictator Muamar Ghaddafi, as well as two other Libyans wanted for war crimes.
Bensouda urged all UN states, "including Libya and Egypt" where the three are said to be located, to facilitate the immediate arrest and surrender the Libyan fugitives to the court."
Along with Ghaddafi, the court seeks to arrest Al-Tuhamy Mohamed Khaled, who headed the internal security services, and is residing in Cairo, and Mahmud al-Werfalli, an LNA commander. Ghaddafi is supposedly in the Zintan region while Werfalli continues to serve in Haftar's forces and is in the Bengazi area.
The three are wanted for war crimes, including "murder, torture, cruel treatment and .... other inhumane acts."